Applying for immigration can be a complicated process, and even the most educated people can get lost trying to navigate through the various court proceedings and gathering of legal documentation. When it comes to immigration, you have the option to do the process on your own or to hire an immigration lawyer and have them take care of the paperwork and represent you in court if needed. Now, there are some great immigration lawyers that are dedicated to their jobs, and at the same time, there are a couple of bad eggs in the bunch as well. If you are looking to go about hiring an immigration attorney but do not know where to start, you can keep on reading below:
- Word of mouth is very important when looking into immigration attorneys because the internet can be deceiving. Ask people who have successfully immigrated about their attorney and whether or not they would recommend their services. This will help you get a more personal list of potential options.
- Not every immigration attorney has malpractice insurance, but it is a plus point if they do. These attorneys will be a bit more expensive than others, but the insurance is for your protection.
- Immigration law can be complicated to navigate through, so you want an immigration attorney that has experience in the field, and they should ideally have prior experience working with people looking to immigrate from your home country as well.
- You need to be able to trust your immigration lawyer. Some people have to immigrate because of serious and dangerous circumstances, and you need to have an attorney you can trust with the details, and your attorney needs to show some level of compassion as well.
- Your immigration attorney should be honest with you about potential issues and barrier you can face in your case, be it their education, their age, their job status, criminal record and so on.